Witch's Market (Mercado de las Brujas)
Located inside of the Mercado Modelo—a large central market by the Plaza de Armas that is frequented by everyday shoppers—the Witch Market is a colorful and fascinating stop. Meander the alleyways, inspecting the odd trinkets and concoctions on your own, or explore the market as part of a tour of Chiclayo's landmarks and attractions including Parque Principal, Chiclayo Cathedral, the Municipal Palace, and Paseo de las Musas and its Greek-style statues.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Witch Market is an ideal spot for curious travelers interested in shamanism.
- Perhaps not the best place for children as there are items that might induce fear and/or confusion. *xa0Be aware of your belongings in the crowds.
- If searching for a shaman or healer, best to go with a trusted recommendation. *The market is wheelchair-accessible, however the alleyways can be narrow and crowded.
How to Get There
Witch Market is located on the southwest corner inside Chicalyos’ Mercado Modelo, which is easy walking distance from the city’s central Plaza de Armas. Found deep inside the market, there are no signs, but look for the row of shops that display dried herbs, amulets, snakeskins, vials of potions, and a variety of eccentric goods.
When to Get There
Witch Market is open from morning to afternoon every day except on Sundays. The best time to come depends on your interests. Come in the mornings when the market is the most busy if you would like to observe the locals buying from the vendors; come later in the afternoon before closing if you want to beat the crowds.
Chiclayo Cathedral An interesting contrast and companion to the Witch Market is Chiclayo’s relatively young cathedral, also known as Catedrál Santa Maria. Built in 1869, the Gustave Eiffel-designed neoclassical church exudes a sense of grandeur and stands as one of the most striking buildings in the city, and behind its pretty white and pale yellow façade is a striving carved wooden image of Christ called Christ of Poverty (Cristo Pobre).
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Lima
- Things to do in Quito
- Things to do in Mindo
- Things to do in Iquitos
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Andes
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast