At Custom House Quay in the Dublin Docklands, the Famine Sculpture was commissioned by the City of Dublin in 1997 as a way of remembering the victims of the Irish Famine of 1845 to 1849, when over a million Irish men, women, and children died as a result of the problems exacerbated by the potato blight.
The bronze sculptures were designed by Dublin sculptor Rowan Gillespie. Portraying a group of starving figures trying to reach Dublin port and a chance of escape to the New World, a visit to the docklands is a time for reflection and remembrance for those who died just 150 years ago.
Some of the text accompanying the Famine Sculpture reads, “A procession fraught with most striking and most melancholy interest, wending its painful and mournful way along the whole line of the river to where the beautiful pile of the Custom house is distinguishable in the far distance...”
A little further along from the Famine Sculpture you can visit the Jeanie Johnston — a replica of one of the main boats that brought Irish migrants to North America in the 1850s, and since 2007, Toronto's Ireland Park has been home to a second series of Gillespie's famine sculptures.
The Famine Memorial is on Dublin's Custom House Quay.