Nicknamed the Kingdom in the Sky, Lesotho is a peaceful and independent monarchy protected by the dramatic Drakensberg and Maluti Mountains. Towering over the South African lowlands, the landlocked kingdom is known for its stunning landscapes and unique culture. Here are your options for Lesotho tours from Durban, South Africa.
- Traverse the steep Sani Pass in a 4WD and enjoy the spectacular scenery of the Drakensberg Mountains as you cross the border into Lesotho.
- Learn about traditional Lesotho culture with a visit to a Basotho village.
- Tuck into a typical African lunch at the Sani Pass Top Chalet, “the highest pub in Africa.”
- Explore the Southern Drakensberg area and Sani Pass on a thrilling motorbike tour.
Things to Know
- Lesotho is the world’s highest-altitude nation, a dizzying 4,593 feet (1,400 meters) above sea level at its lowest point and 11,424 feet (3,482 meters) at its highest, Thabana Ntlenyana mountain.
- Lesotho’s capital, Maseru, is located around 373 miles (600 kilometers) from Durban in South Africa, so both full-day and multi-day tours are possible.
- Day tours typically last up to 12 hours, so prepare for a long excursion.
- Most full-day tours include hotel pickup, lunch, and round-trip transportation.