For a truly memorable Edinburgh experience, join thousands of revelers in celebrating the annual Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Dubbed “the greatest show on Earth,” its evenings are packed with pomp and circumstance. Here’s how to see the show.
What is the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo?
The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo has nothing to do with body art. Rather, it is an explosive, choreographed, music-filled performance held annually in August on the Edinburgh Castle Esplanade. This evening event consumes historic Edinburgh with military performers from around the globe and a powerful display of horns, drums, bagpipes, marching, and military brass—the highlight of which are the thousands of revelers joining in “Auld Lang Syne.”
- See Edinburgh Castle illuminated in lights.
- Join thousands of people from around the globe on the Edinburgh Castle Esplanade.
- Hear the roar of a military flyover.
- Lose yourself in the chorus of pipes and be wowed by motorcycle display teams.
- See powerful acts of musical vigor from international troops.
Other Things to Do in Edinburgh
Since the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo performances are about 90 minutes each evening, you’ll have the entire day to explore the city and surrounding countryside. Tour the majestic Edinburgh Castle, walk the Royal Mile, take a day trip out to the Highlands, or walk inside Edinburgh Castle. Then spend the next morning exploring the UNESCO World Heritage–listed capital city with a convenient, hop-on hop-off bus tour.