Two of Tuscany’s most beloved day trip destinations—Siena and San Gimignano—are easy to visit in a tour from Florence. Both have medieval structures and gorgeous scenery, with wine tasting in Chianti as an option. Here’s what you need to know.
Booking a spot on a group tour to Siena and San Gimignano from Florence is the most budget-friendly way to see these two charming cities. Tours include transportation, leaving you free to relax and enjoy the scenery of Tuscany en route. Many of these day tours include other destinations, such as Greve in Chianti or Pisa, so you can see even more in a single day.
On a private tour you’ll be able to focus more on the places and sights that interest you most, with a personal tour guide to answer your questions. Some private tours can include cities in addition to Siena and San Gimignano, such as Pisa.
Things to Know
- Siena is about 47 miles (76 kilometers) from Florence.
- There is no train station in San Gimignano, which is about 33 miles (53 kilometers) from Florence, so a vehicle is the only transportation option.
- It’s roughly 30 miles (47 kilometers) between Siena and San Gimignano.
- Some tours include a meal, either lunch or dinner, and some include wine tasting in the Chianti region, but these are not standard. Read the descriptions carefully to know what’s included.
- Siena’s historic center has steep hills from one attraction to the next, so be prepared for brief climbs as you see the sights.
- Tours are typically six to eight hours, though some run between 12 and 14 hours.