The castle is first mentioned in 1061, when it know as the “Crown of all Castles in Swabia” and “the most fortified House in Germany.” At the end of the 12th century Count Frederick III of Zollern, the family that owned the castle, got married and became Burggrave of Nuremberg. Due to the distance between Burg Hohenzollern and Nuremberg, the Counts sons later divided the properties; the family became split into the Swabian line and Franconian line, which later became the Brandenburg-Prussian line that became the Prussian Kings and later the German Emperors.
Editor’s Note: This recommendation was taken from our Germany Things to Do blog. Visit the original post to continue reading the full post and to learn more about things to do in Germany.
Photo courtesy of Trodel via Flickr