On Hàm Long hill by the Perfume River in Hue, Bao Quoc Pagoda is a Buddhist temple that dates back to the Nguyen Dynasty, when it was commissioned in 1670 by Chinese Zen Master Thích Giác Phong.
Though Bao Quoc was renovated in the mid-20th century, it still retains its traditional charm. A spring flows from the top of the hill down into the grounds of the temple, where the peaceful courtyard is surrounded by balconied buildings and stupas built in honor of Buddhist patriarchs, the oldest of which was built in 1714 and dedicated to Thich Giác Phong. At the temple, look closer at its four pillars carved with dragon figures.
Bao Quoc Pagoda is also famous for its monk training center, which has been running since 1940 when Vietnam initiated a revival in Buddhist education.
Open from sunrise to sunset on Ham Long Hill, Bao Quoc is free to enter. About a kilometer west of Hue city center on the south side of the Perfume River, the pagoda is on Báo Quoc Street in the Phuong Ðúc ward.