With two days in Montego Bay, you’ll have enough time to check out local beaches and historic attractions and get out into the surrounding areas to see the region’s rich natural and cultural offerings. Here’s how to plan your time.
Rio Bueno, Jamaica
Tubing, rafting, kayaking, and more: the Rio Bueno is one of Jamaica’s water sports hotspots. No matter which sport you choose you’re sure to get your heart pumping with a day out on the river.
If you prefer to take things easy, take a stroll around the picturesque village with its churches and river warehouses and stop by Rio Bueno harbor—the deepest harbor on the island, and the place where Columbus disembarked. The town Runaway Bay with its coral reef and beaches is just a short distance away.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The watersports activities at Rio Bueno are not suitable for young children.
- Make sure you wear a swimsuit or clothes you don’t mind getting wet.
- Some water-based activities may be difficult for people with limited mobility.
How to Get There
Rio Bueno is located on Jamaica’s north-central coast, 35 miles from Montego Bay. The easiest ways to get around the island are by car, taxi or shared minibuses. Some water sports tours offer round-trip transport to and from your hotel.
When to Get There
The best time of year to visit Jamaica is from December to March; this is high season when you’ll find the widest variety of activities on offer. Hurricane season runs from June to November, although Jamaica normally avoids the worst of the storms thanks to its southerly location.
Visit Dunn’s River Falls For more fun in Jamaica’s rivers head to Dunn’s River Falls in nearby Ochos Rios. Join a guided excursion and climb up the tiered waterfalls, swimming in picturesque lagoons as you go along. If the view looks familiar, that is because the river falls were featured in the classic James Bond movie Dr. No, starring Sean Connery and Ursula Andress.
- Things to do in Montego Bay
- Things to do in Ocho Rios
- Things to do in Trelawny
- Things to do in Negril
- Things to do in Runaway Bay
- Things to do in Lucea
- Things to do in Falmouth
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Black River
- Things to do in Bahamas
- Things to do in Dominican Republic
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Columbus Park Museum
- Puerto Seco Beach
- Green Grotto Caves
- Glistening Waters Luminous Lagoon
- Martha Brae River
- Historic Falmouth Cruise Port
- Jamaica Swamp Safari Village
- Cranbrook Flower Forest
- Good Hope Estate
- Greenwood Great House
- Bob Marley's Nine Mile
- Rose Hall Great House
- Dunn's River Falls
- Mystic Mountain Adventure Park
- Shaw Park Gardens