The Buganda (sometimes spelled Baganda) Kingdom, situated on the northern shores of Lake Victoria, is one of the largest traditional kingdoms in East Africa. Here are some ways to experience Buganda culture and history while visiting Kampala, the Ugandan capital, which sits at the heart of the region.
- Pay tribute to past Buganda kings, known as kabaka, at the UNESCO World Heritage–listed Kasubi Tombs.
- Explore the town of Naggalabi, the birthplace of the Buganda Kingdom and coronation site for modern Budganda royalty.
- Attend a traditional music and dance performance by the Ndere Troupe at the Ndere Centre in Kampala.
- Tour the Buganda King’s Palace and Buganda King’s Lake during a sightseeing tour of the Ugandan capital.
- Learn about the history and cultural heritage of East Africa, including the Kingdom of Buganda, at the Uganda Museum.