Originally built as Fort Cromwell in the mid-1650s, Fort Charles was one of the few structures that survived the 1692 earthquake that sent much of Port Royal into the sea. Reconstructed after the earthquake, it continued to be used as a British fort and a headquarters for the British Navy. Even Admiral Horatio Nelson did time as a lieutenant here during 1779. Today it houses the Fort Charles Maritime Museum, which includes a reproduction of Nelson's quarters, among other artifacts and exhibits. On the grounds is a former artillery storehouse now called the Giddy House because it was twisted sideways by another earthquake in 1907.
Fort Charles in the main historical attraction in Port Royal, which sits at the end of a long, narrow peninsula stretching around Kingston Harbour, just west of the airport. To get there, take Norman Manley Hwy to the end of the peninsula.