Lake Tahoe is an outdoor lover’s paradise in the summer, with prime opportunities for hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, beaches, and watersports from North Lake Tahoe down the west shore to South Lake Tahoe, home to Heavenly Mountain Resort. Here are our favorite ways to enjoy this alpine environment in the warmer months.
- Cruise from South Lake Tahoe to Emerald Bay State Park by jet ski or boat. You’ll see Fannette Island and Vikingsholm, a Scandinavian-style castle, along the way.
- For an active, yet peaceful, mode of water transit, rent a stand-up paddleboard.
- Go rafting from Tahoe City down the Truckee River.
- Ride the Squaw Valley Aerial Tram to the top of the ski resort, where you’ll catch panoramic views of the lake and surrounding mountains of the Sierra range.
- Enjoy one of the many hiking trails; Eagle Falls is a favorite on the south shore.
- Drive or take a tour around the circumference of the lake, which straddles Nevada and California. Just be sure to allot the whole day if you plan to stop for photo opps.
- Visit the old mining town of Virginia City, Nevada, to learn about the region’s Wild West history and take a ride on the Virginia & Truckee Railroad.