Leiden's Museum De Lakenhal and the building it is housed in (the Laecken-Halle) are considered to be one of the best examples of Dutch Golden Age architecture in the Netherlands. For centuries, the building served as the inspection hall and the bustling center for Leiden's famous fabric trade, the products of which were exported to all corners of the world. The original façade of the 17th-century palace remains intact, although the interior has undergone quite a few changes over the centuries.
The site welcomed the Museum De Lakenhal in 1874, bringing in a diverse collection of works by Leiden-born master painters including Rembrandt van Rijn, Lucas van Leyden and Theo van Doesburg. With a focus on fine arts and Leiden history, the museum hosts visiting exhibitions in addition to its permanent collection. A mix of armaments, old tile, fabric, paintings and even an altarpiece from a 'hidden church' are tied together by the history of Leiden, allowing visitors to easily imagine what life in this historic city may have once been like.
The museum is a 10-minute walk from Leiden Central Station. Every Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m., free guided tours are offered by the museum. All public areas are wheelchair accessible, and a small number of wheelchairs and walkers are available by reservation. Mobility scooters are not allowed. For those unable to move through the museum on their own, one companion is allowed to enter the museum free of charge. Youth under the age of 18 enter for free.