Just a short hop from Paris via high-speed train, the Loire Valley is a biker’s paradise. Its vast network of mostly flat and scenic country trails lead to châteaux, wineries, and rustic French towns. Before you begin pedaling, see below to find out what you can expect from a cycling tour of the Loire Valley.
- Cycle through lush forests, vine-covered countryside, and along the peaceful banks of France’s Loire River on bike tours of the verdant Loire Valley.
- Rest your legs and refuel with vineyard picnics and lunches in local restaurants.
- Cycle from castle to castle, stopping at magnificent estates including Chenonceau Castle (Château de Chenonceau), Chambord Castle (Château de Chambord), Azay-le-Rideau Castle (Château d’Azay-le-Rideau), and Clos Lucé, a Renaissance manor house in Amboise where Leonardo da Vinci spent his final days.
- Hop off the saddle for strolls in the Loire’s landscaped gardens, from the vegetable gardens of Château de Villandry to the Jardin du Plessis-Sasnières, northwest of Blois.
- Enjoy wine tastings of bold reds in Chinon or crisp whites in the Sancerre, Vouvray, and Pouilly-Fumé regions as you pedal along bike-friendly wine routes.
- Explore the city of Nantes, from its medieval center to the innovative Machines of the Isle of Nantes (Les Machines de l’Île), without so much as breaking a sweat on an e-biking city tour.