Thanks to its diverse culinary scene, London has plenty of top-notch dining destinations. In addition to its strong gastropub and fine dining scene, there's also a bevy of street food flavors from across the globe. Here are a few dishes and experiences to try when in London.
With its rich flavors and hearty portions, British cuisine is the ultimate comfort food. No visit to London is complete without sampling a plate of fish and chips, which are typically accompanied by mushy peas or tartare sauce: beer-battered cod is also a favorite. As well as offering a wide selection of British ales, London’s pubs are the best place to sample authentic English dishes. Don’t miss out on a pie and mash or a roast dinner with all the trimmings, which tend to include sage and onion stuffing, crispy Yorkshire pudding, and meat gravy.
Afternoon tea is a cultural institution in London. Both fine-dining restaurants and cafes serve different variations of the teatime treat, but the classic version includes finger sandwiches and scones smothered in clotted cream. Must-try desserts include sticky toffee pudding and bread-and-butter pudding.
- After a rambling walk around a London park, find a cosy pub to enjoy classic pub grub, such as fish and chips or pie and mash.
- Sample the best of British produce on a walking tour of Borough Market or Old Spitalfields Market.
- Drink some ale on a tour of London’s historic pubs.
- Discover the fine dining scene of central London on a tasting tour in cosmopolitan Soho.
- Experience the diversity of London’s cuisine on a food tour that covers the East End, home to some of the best Indian food in the British Isles.