Ripley's Believe It or Not! Hollywood
From shrunken heads to the world’s smallest drivable car, this Hollywood museum is a shrine to strange treasures, kitsch, and record-breaking finds. Known as the ‘Odditorium,’ the Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum lives up to the name, starting with the giant tyrannosaurus rex that looms out of the red-tile roof.
Inside the museum, 300 exhibits are spread across two floors and 15 galleries. When the Hollywood landmark was overhauled in 2012, some of the most gruesome exhibits were removed to make the experience more family-friendly. You’ll still find plenty of oddities here, though. Highlights include a vampire-killing kit, interactive musical stairs, Marilyn Monroe memorabilia, and a moving automaton of the world’s tallest man.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Great for travelers with kids. Hands-on exhibits ensure there’s plenty to play with.
- Bring a camera. The museum has some great photo opportunities, though video is not allowed.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible and ADA compliant.
How to Get There
Located at 6780 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, the museum is walking distance from some of the city’s top attractions. If you’re coming by car, parking is available at the Hollywood and Highland Center across the street. A nearby bus stop, located just around the corner on N Highland Avenue, has service from the 222, 237, and 656 lines. The closest metro station is Hollywood and Vine, which is 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) away.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily, with late hours that attract the going-out crowd. Most visitors spend between one and two hours exploring the exhibits. If you visit at night, take the time to explore a few blocks of Hollywood Boulevard, too. After dark, the Walk of Stars is lit with multi-colored neon.
Attractions Near Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum
Some of Hollywood’s most iconic sites are a short distance from the museum. Just across the street is the Hollywood Wax Museum, with lifelike casts of Hollywood stars. Head west along Hollywood Boulevard and you’ll find Madame Tussaud’s and the TCL Chinese Theater, a historic site that’s popular for red-carpet movie premieres.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- Hollywood Museum
- Hollywood Guinness World Records Museum
- Hollywood Wax Museum Los Angeles
- Hollywood & Highland
- El Capitan Theatre
- Dolby Theatre
- Egyptian Theatre
- Hard Rock Café Hollywood
- TCL Chinese Theatre
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood
- The Magic Castle
- Runyon Canyon Park
- Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Capitol Records Building