Built by the Jesuits in 1620, Manila's St Peter and Paul Church has survived earthquakes and typhoons to stand proud in the ritzy Makati district as one of the oldest churches in the Philippines. The Roman Catholic chapel was designed in the typical Baroque style of the Spanish colonial period and was dedicated to the first pope, St Peter, and to St. Paul, the local patron saint. The façade bears the cross keys of St Peter, and inside, you can still see the chapel’s original carved retablo with its Rococo style motifs of flowers and fruits.
Known locally as Poblacion Church, the site served as a hospital during the Philippine-American War from 1899 to 1902, where American soldiers were tended to. Every year, on the last two days of June, the plaza outside the church hosts the Bailes de los Arcos fiesta, where local Makati girls perform a traditional dance to give thanks to Saints Peter and Paul.
St Peter and Paul Parish Church is located on 5539 D. M. Rivera St. in Manila. The chapel holds public masses three times a day, generally twice in the early morning and once in the early evening. On Sundays, sermons run throughout the whole day.