No trip to Morocco is complete without experiencing the rituals of the hammam, or Turkish-style steam bath. From a traditional scrubdown to a luxury spa treatment in a five-star resort, here are some options for a relaxing hammam in Marrakech.
What is a Hammam?
At its most basic, a hammam is the Moroccan version of a public bathhouse, where men and women come to socialize and cleanse. The experience varies from place to place, but it generally begins with a sit in a hot steam room to open up the pores, followed by a scrub with a special black soap and an exfoliating glove to remove dead skin, and it finishes with immersion in a cold water bath. Local hammams often have large group steam rooms and pools (with separate facilities for men and women), while luxury spas offer a more intimate experience with a larger range of treatments, including a couples hammam.
- Unwind during a traditional Moroccan hammam ritual.
- Choose between an authentic local bathhouse or a luxury spa experience.
- Combine your hammam treatment with a private Moroccan cooking class.
- Book a multi-day well-being retreat that includes a private hammam and guided city tour.
- A typical hammam ritual takes about 30 minutes and is sometimes followed by a massage or additional spa treatment.