When the City Hall building of Milwaukee was built in 1895, it was the second tallest structure in America, with a bell tower stretching to 353 feet—only the Washington Monument was taller. The design was inspired by the Flemish Renaissance, similar to the Hamburg Rathaus, which shows the strong German heritage of the region. At the top of the bell tower, there still hangs the original 22,500-pound bell made from melted copper and tin, which was named Solomon Juneau after Milwaukee's first mayor. In 2005, City Hall was designated a National Historic Landmark, and a recent restoration project replaced the buildings damaged bricks, terracotta sculptures and windows.
City Hall sits at the corner of E Wells St. and N Water St. at the heart of downtown Milwaukee. It’s only a block from the Milwaukee Riverwalk, making it easy to stop by during a stroll along the waterfront.