Rocklands Bird Sanctuary
Founded by lifelong bird lover Lisa Salmon, the relaxing oasis is now run by her nephew Fritz, who welcomes travelers into his cottage home and shows the incredible diversity of avian life on the island. You will see stunning local birds, such as the Jamaican oriole, the white-winged dove, and Jamaica's national bird, the doctor bird (red-billed streamertail). Some birds, especially the tiny, shiny hummingbirds, are so tame that they will sit on your finger while feeding from a bottle of sugared water.
Travelers have many options to experience Rocklands Bird Sanctuary as part of a half-day tour leaving from Montego Bay or Falmouth, that may include sightseeing highlights of Montego Bay (St. James Parish Church, Richmond Hill Great House, Sam Sharpe Square). A more active adventure features a gentle rafting sojourn down the Rio Bueno River.
Recent reviews from experiences in Montego Bay
Things to Know Before You Go
- Family friendly, the sanctuary is a popular choice for children.
- The admission fee is payable in cash only.
- The sanctuary is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The sanctuary is in St. James Parish on the north side of the island. From Montego Bay, it’s about a half-hour drive; from Negril, the drive is about 1.5 hours, and one hour from Falmouth. You can arrange taxi rides at your hotel, or join a tour that includes round-trip transport.
When to Get There
The sanctuary is open year-round, daily from 10am to 6pm.
A Birder’s Legacy The sanctuary has a lovely history. When the original owner Lisa Salmon moved to this remote area in the 1990s, she took long walks through the forested hills, falling in love with the exotic birds and occasionally feeding them on her way. After about five years, her feathered friends started following her home. As the story goes, the day she died, the birds left, and on her burial day in 2000, they miraculously returned to stay to this day.
- Things to do in Lucea
- Things to do in Falmouth
- Things to do in Trelawny
- Things to do in Negril
- Things to do in Black River
- Things to do in Runaway Bay
- Things to do in Ocho Rios
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Nassau
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Key West
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden
- Montego Bay Marine Park
- Montego Bay Cruise Port
- Sam Sharpe Square
- Harbour Street Craft Market
- Fort Montego
- Margaritaville Montego Bay Restaurant & Bar
- Aquasol Theme Park
- Rastafari Indigenous Village
- Cornwall Beach
- Hip Strip (Gloucester Avenue)
- Doctor's Cave Beach
- Club Mobay Departure Lounge
- Rose Hall Great House
- Croydon Plantation