Central New York
Central New York is about midway between New York City and Niagara Falls, making it a popular pit stop for travelers journeying between the two popular destinations. You might visit the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, row your way around Oneida Lake, view the waterfalls at Chittenango Falls State Park, or follow family-friendly hiking trails along Vroman’s Nose, a small peak offering wonderful views.
In winter, snowfall presents a new range of outdoor opportunities in Central New York: ride the chairlift at McCauley Mountain for views of Adirondack Park, go ice skating on a frozen lake at Chenango Valley State Park, or try cross-country skiing at Arnold Lake State Forest.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Central New York is a must for beer lovers, with more than 40 breweries dotted around the region.
- There is a lot of snowfall in this region in winter so if you’re visiting then come prepared with warm waterproof boots and a coat.
- Public transport is limited in this mostly rural region so it’s best to rent a car, especially if you plan on traveling around.
How to Get There
Interstate Highways 81, 86, and 88 all converge in Binghamton in Central New York. Driving from New York takes about 3–4 hours depending on your final destination. Toronto-bound Greyhound buses depart from Manhattan’s Port Authority Bus Terminal and stop at Binghamton and Syracuse.
When to Get There
While there are some snow sports facilities in Central New York, you’ll find an even greater range of activities on offer—both outdoor and otherwise—in summer, including seasonal farmers markets, berry picking, and festivals.
What Else to See Nearby If you’re traveling around Central New York, you’ll find a range of big-name sights worth a short detour. Explore Ithaca, home to Cornell University; the Women’s Rights National Historical Park in Seneca Falls; or the Finger Lakes wine region. The city of Syracuse, home to a scattering of worthwhile museums, including the Everson Museum of Art and the Erie Canal Museum, is also within easy reach.
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Ontario
- Things to do in Illinois
- Things to do in South Carolina
- Things to do in Tennessee