The real highlight of Chefchaouen its UNESCO World Heritage–listed Old Medina, where the lively cafés, cobbled souks, and distinctive handicrafts stalls show off the town’s unique heritage—an intriguing blend of Spanish, Moroccan, and Riffian cultures. While there’s enough to see to warrant a multi-day visit, most travelers explore Chefchaouen on a day tour from either Tangier or Fez.
Things to Know Before You Go
Chefchaouen is a must-see for Instagram fanatics and first-time visitors to Morocco.
Chefchaouen tours from Tangier or Fez can last eight to 12 hours, depending on the option chosen.
Don’t forget your camera; this town is full of memorable photo ops.
Dress in long, loose layers; Chefchaouen is more conservative than Marrakech.
The town is hilly, so wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
How to Get There
The easiest and most convenient way to get to Chefchaouen is on a guided small-group or private tour. Those who wish to visit independently can catch a bus from Fez, Tetouan, Casablanca, Rabat, Meknes, Tangier, or Ceuta. The town’s main bus station is a 15-minute walk from the medina.
When to Get There
The best weather for exploring the medina and surrounding mountains is in the spring (March to May) or fall (September to November). Since Chefchaouen is cooler than lower-elevation destinations in Morocco, it can get busy with Moroccan vacationers in summer.
Attractions in Chefchaouen
While the main appeal of the Blue City is simply soaking in the atmosphere, there are a few points of interest worth checking out. A short hike leads from the medina’s eastern gate to the ruins of a Spanish Mosque, which is perched on a hilltop above town. For a little history and context, visit the Musée de Chefchaouen (Chefchaouen Museum), housed within a 15th-centurykasbah in Outa el Hammam. This central square is also home to the town’s Grand Mosque.
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Chefchaouen
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Region of Murcia
- Caves of Hercules
- Cape Spartel
- Medina of Fez (Fes el-Bali)
- Al-Attarine Madrasa
- Nejjarine Museum of Wooden Arts and Crafts (Musée Nejjarine)
- Nejjarine Square (Place Nejjarine)
- Bab Bou Jeloud (Bab Boujeloud)
- Dar Batha Museum
- Moulay Idriss
- Zaouia Moulay Idriss II
- Fez Mellah (Jewish Quarter)
- Royal Palace of Fez (Fes Dar el-Makhzen)
- Kairaouine Mosque (Mosque of al-Qarawiyyin)