Thirty minutes by plane and 80 miles (129 kilometers) is all that separates Oahu from tranquil Maui, where sparkling waterfalls splash down verdant slopes and sugar-white beaches beckon to locals and visitors alike. If you’re based in Honolulu or elsewhere on Oahu, luckily you can get a taste of this Hawaiian beauty on a day trip.
- Take a bus tour of the stunning Road to Hana on Maui’s windward side.
- Admire the views from the top of Mt. Haleakala, the highest point on the island.
- Cool off with a swim in the Seven Sacred Pools of Ohe‘o Gulch.
- Catch some rays on the black-sand beaches of Wai‘anapanapa State Park.
- Snap photos from scenic spots like the Keanae Lookout and roadside Wailua Falls.
- Explore charming and historic Hana Town.
- Pay your respects at the grave of famous aviator Charles Lindbergh.
Things to Know
You can choose a Maui day trip focusing on the Road to Hana and East Maui coast or the central highlands and Iao Valley.
Many full-day tours include hotel pickup and drop-off in Waikiki as well as round-trip airfare.
A 1-day tour can last upwards of 14 hours, so prepare for a long day.