In Ottawa, the arrival of fall brings with it a picturesque palette of autumnal foliage and cool, crisp conditions that make being outdoors a delight. Here are just a few ways to make the most out a fall trip to Canada’s capital.
- Sail down the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO-listed waterway that flows from Dow’s Lake to the Ottawa River, passing landmarks such as Chateau Laurier and TD Place Stadium along the way.
- Pedal past Parliament Hill, the Canadian War Museum, Byward Market, and Rideau Falls during a bike tour. Most tours follow dedicated cycle paths, such as the Rideau Canal Pathway or the Ottawa River Pathway.
- Go leaf-peeping by horseback in the scenic Ottawa Valley.
- Head to Gatineau Park to experience the annual Fall Rhapsody festival, whose program includes family-friendly workshops, nature walks, community events, and performances.
- Take a guided walking tour around Downtown Ottawa, where statues, monuments, and murals abound. Find out about the fascinating history behind sights such as the Famous Five and the Victoria Tower Bell.
- Get in the Halloween spirit on a visit to Saunders Farm. During the annual Haunting Season event, the farm offers haunted walks, spooky attractions, and farm-fresh fall foods.