With two days, you’ll have time to take in the old streets of Casco Viejo and the modern skyscrapers of the new city, sail through the iconic Panama Canal, and dig a bit deeper into the local food and arts scene. Read on to learn more about how to make the most of 48 hours in Panama City.
Fuerte Amador Cruise Port
Fuerte Amador, Panama
After docking near bustling Panama City, most visitors head straight to the Panamanian capital’s Casco Viejo independently or as part of a shore excursion on foot or by bike with round-trip transportation included. However, for land, boat, or train tours to the Panama Canal, shore excursions are by far the most convenient option for first-time visitors and those with limited time. Combine them with stops in Panama City, the Panamanian rain forest, Embera Village, or Monkey Island.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Fuerte Amador Cruise Port is an anchorage port, so expect to be taken to the Flamenco Island Marina by tender (small boat).
- Shore excursions depart regularly from the Flamenco Island Marina and are a convenient way to get to know the area.
- Panama City is hot and humid year-round, so wear light layers and pack sunscreen and bug spray.
- There are ATMs, restrooms, Wi-Fi, duty-free stores, and sometimes a tourist information booth at the cruise terminal.
- Flamenco Island Marina is one of the best spots to get a panoramic snap of downtown Panama City.
How to Get to Panama City From the Fuerte Amador Cruise Port
Cruise liners dock in Panama Bay and ferry passengers to the Flamenco Island Marina by tender. From there,taxi is the easiest way to get to Panama City, with both private and official taxis available at the port. It's a 20-minute drive into the center of Panama City. Hop-on hop-off bus is also an option.
The official language in Panama is Spanish, but many Panamanians are bilingual and English will likely be spoken at establishments catering to tourists. The local currency is the Panamanian dollar, although US dollars are used throughout Panama City.
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Cartagena
- Things to do in San Jose
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Medellín
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Armenia
- Things to do in Bogotá
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Panama Interoceanic Canal Museum (Museo del Canal Interoceánico)
- Bridge of the Americas (Puente de las Americas)
- Metropolitan Cathedral
- Casco Viejo
- Ancon Hill (Cerro Ancon)
- Presidential Palace (Palacio de las Garzas)
- Afro-Antillean Museum of Panama (Museo Afro-Antillano de Panama)
- Punta Culebra Nature Center
- Amador Causeway (Calzada de Amador)
- Metropolitan National Park (Parque Natural Metropolitano)
- Panama Canal
- Miraflores Locks
- Panamá Viejo (Old Panama Ruins)
- San Jose Church (Iglesia San Jose)