There is perhaps no American city with a greater amount of history than Philadelphia, and its Old City Hall is no exception. Surrounded by the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and Congress Hall, the building served as the original site of the First Supreme Court from 1791 to 1800. It was a center of the United States government when Philadelphia was briefly the nation’s capital.
With its distinctive red brick and clocktower, it was designed in Federal style and remains in tact from its original structure today. Its interior retains its period furnishings, though they are duplicates of the original seats in which the first Justices sat.
After the U.S. Supreme Court was moved to Washington D.C., the Old City Hall was utilized as the city hall and mayor’s office. Today it is maintained as a historic site. Portraits of the first five Supreme Court Justices can be seen in the Second Bank portrait gallery.
Old City Hall is located at Chestnut and 5th Streets in Independence National Historic Park at the center of Philadelphia. You can enter from the north door on Chestnut Street. Open daily from 9 am to 5 pm, admission is free.