Jump into the art at Playa del Carmen’s 3D Museum of Wonders. Created by a visionary American artist, this interactive museum is truly in a genre and mind-bending class of its own. It doesn’t take long for reality to blend with illusion, and pretty soon you’re splashing beneath a waterfall, surfing a wave, or trapped inside a bubble.
Stare in awe at more than 60 drawings that seem to pop off the wall, and become one with the art at the aptly named 3D Museum of Wonders. Owner and artist Keith Wenner once worked for NASA as a graphic artist and was commissioned to draw for the Vatican. Bring a fully-charged camera, as the illusions are only fully revealed in photographs with visitors included in the art.
The 3D Museum of Wonders offers plenty of space for families and groups. Prebook skip-the-line admission tickets to avoid lines, especially in peak season (winter).
Things to Know Before You Go
- The museum is great for families, art lovers, and those looking for a fun activity beyond the beach.
- Expect to spend about two hours exploring the museum’s collection.
- Buy skip-the-line admission tickets in advance to avoid waiting at the ticket booth.
- The museum has a gift shop and restrooms.
- All photography, including flash, is allowed inside the museum.
- The museum is accessible to wheelchair users. Strollers are not permitted inside the exhibits and must be left by the entrance.
How to Get There
The 3D Museum of Wonders is located on 10th Avenue between 8th and 10th streets in downtown Playa del Carmen. Most visitors walk, bike, or take a taxi to the museum. Limited street parking is available in the area around the museum.
When to Get There
The museum is open from 9am to 10pm daily, and there isn’t really a bad time to visit. If you want to avoid the crowds, arrive in the morning. Winter brings large numbers of travelers to Playa del Carmen, and the weeks before and after Easter are some of the busiest. The museum is air-conditioned and enclosed, so it makes for a comfortable escape from the heat or rainy days.
Fifth Avenue (Quinta Avenida)
Set aside some time to stroll along Playa del Carmen’s famous Fifth Avenue, located just one block from the 3D Museum of Wonders. This bustling pedestrian street provides easy access to the beach and is lined with loads of shops, restaurants, cafés, bars, and clubs.