Mansa Beach (Playa Mansa)
With a name that translates as “tame” in English, Mansa Beach is protected from strong ocean currents and is therefore a family-friendly alternative to the big swells of Punta del Este’s other beach—Brava. Locals and tourists alike flock to Mansa’s wide, sandy shores for sunbathing, swimming, and sunset watching. A wooden bridge crosses a section of the bay for gorgeous views of the peninsula and Gorriti Island.
Most Punta del Este sightseeing tours include a stop at the beach.
Things to Know Before You Go
A handful of beach vendors rent lounge chairs and umbrellas.
Jet Skis and other water sports rentals are an option for visitors looking for more action.
Plenty of dining choices are available at the many restaurants lining the beach.
How to Get There
Mansa Beach is located on the southwestern coast of Punta del Este, just south of Maldonado and about a 2-hour drive from Montevideo. The beach is within walking distance of most Punta del Este resorts, or a short taxi ride from those outside the city center.
When to Get There
The best beach weather is December through February (summer in South America), but it’s also the most crowded time. In early December, the annual ePrix electric-car race attracts droves of racing enthusiasts. Go in October or November to enjoy warm weather and more space to stretch out.
One Day in Punta del Este
Touted as having some of the most beautiful beaches in South America—and also some of the highest prices—tony Punta del Este has fast become a favorite destination for well-heeled vacationers from Uruguay and Argentina. Aside from beach cabanas and mojito bars, highlights include the Gaudí-esque Casapueblo, the avant-garde Hand sculpture by Chilean artist Mario Irarrázabal, and a drive across the Puente de la Barra bridge, which mimics the curves of an ocean wave.
- Things to do in Montevideo
- Things to do in Buenos Aires
- Things to do in Porto Alegre
- Things to do in Gramado
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in South Brazil
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Lake District
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Things to do in North Chile
- Punta del Este Splash Aqua Park
- La Vista Punta del Este
- Gorlero Avenue (Avenida Gorlero)
- Punta del Este Artigas Square (Plaza Artigas)
- Punta del Este Cruise Port
- Punta del Este Ralli Museum (Museo Ralli)
- Hand of Punta del Este (La Mano de Punta del Este)
- La Barra
- Casapueblo (Museo Taller de Casapueblo)
- Pablo Atchugarry Foundation (Fundación Pablo Atchugarry)