Punta del Este Our Lady of the Candelaria Church (Nuestra Senora de la Candelaria)
Sightseeing tours of Punta del Este often make a photo stop at the Our Lady of the Candelaria Church. Head inside to admire the mosaic floor tiles and religious artworks, or attend one of the daily services. Most tours combine a visit to the church with nearby attractions such as the neighboring Punta del Este Lighthouse, which dates back to the 19th century; a stroll around Punta del Este harbor and fish market; or a visit to the Punta del Este Yacht Club.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The church is a working church; be respectful during service times and dress modestly.
- There are a number of restaurants and cafés along the harbor, within walking distance of the church.
- The church is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The church is located just south of the main harbor and cruise port, less than a 10-minute walk from the waterfront. A number of buses from different areas of the city stop close to the harbor, or else you can hop in a taxi from downtown, which takes around 10 minutes.
When to Get There
The church is open daily and holds daily services. The liveliest time to visit is during Saturday and Sunday Mass.
Landmarks of Punta del Este More than just a beach town, Punta del Este also has a surprising number of historic landmarks and architectural gems to its name. After admiring the Our Lady of the Candelaria Church and Punta del Este Lighthouse, pose for photos by Mario Irrazábal’s The Hand sculpture on Brava Beach; take a day trip to the palatial coastal villa of Casapueblo, built by Uruguayan artist Carlos Páez Vilaró; and drive over the wave-inspired Barra Bridge.
- Things to do in Montevideo
- Things to do in Buenos Aires
- Things to do in Porto Alegre
- Things to do in Gramado
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in South Brazil
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Lake District
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Things to do in North Chile