Punta del Este Cruise Port
Most cruise passengers docking in Punta del Este head straight to the beach, but joining a tour of the area is the most convenient way to take in all the sights. Take photos by Mario Irarrázabal's Mano del desierto sculpture on Brava Beach; drive across the wave-inspired La Barra bridge; and visit Casapueblo, the Mediterranean-style museum-residence of Uruguayan artist Carlos Páez Vilaró.
Some shore excursions include a journey to the neighboring town of José Ignacio, a cruise to Gorriti Island or Sea Lion Island, or wine tasting at a nearby vineyard.
Things to Know Before You Go
Punta del Este’s main shopping area is around Avenida Gorlero, while Plaza Artigas is best for traditional art and handicrafts.
You’ll find numerous restaurants, bars, and cafés along the waterfront by the port.
The port is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get to Punta del Este From the Punta del Este Cruise Port
Ships arriving at Punta del Este anchor at sea, and tenders (smaller vessels) bring passengers into the port. Many cruise ships offer transfers to downtown Punta del Este; otherwise, taxis are available. The city’s beaches and attractions are quite spread out, so it’s worth organizing a shore excursion with port pickup if you plan on sightseeing.
The local language is Spanish, but English is also spoken, especially at establishments catering to travelers. The currency is the Uruguayan peso, but US dollars are also often accepted (although exchange rates may be less than favorable, so check in advance). ATMs are easy to find, and credit cards are widely accepted.
- Things to do in Montevideo
- Things to do in Buenos Aires
- Things to do in Porto Alegre
- Things to do in Gramado
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in South Brazil
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Lake District
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Things to do in North Chile
- Punta del Este Artigas Square (Plaza Artigas)
- Gorlero Avenue (Avenida Gorlero)
- La Vista Punta del Este
- Mansa Beach (Playa Mansa)
- Punta del Este Splash Aqua Park
- Punta del Este Ralli Museum (Museo Ralli)
- Hand of Punta del Este (La Mano de Punta del Este)
- La Barra
- Casapueblo (Museo Taller de Casapueblo)
- Pablo Atchugarry Foundation (Fundación Pablo Atchugarry)