Compact, colorful, and charming, Reykjavik is full of kid-friendly fun. From learning about Vikings and petting Icelandic horses to spotting whales and chasing the Northern Lights, this list details some of the best things for families to do in Iceland’s capital.
- Explore the city at your own pace on a hop-on, hop-off bus tour that hits all the major sights.
- Meet adorable Icelandic horses and ride through the countryside.
- Dress up like a Viking and hear dramatic tales about the history of Iceland at the Saga Museum.
- Meet farm animals and costumed guides at Árbær Open Air Museum.
- View life-size models of whales at Whales of Iceland and then head out onto the water with a combo museum and whale-watching package. Or, go puffin-spotting.
- Search for the magical Northern Lights and hear some of the Icelandic myths associated with them on an evening tour. Toasting marshmallows arounf the campfire is a family favorite.