Recreio dos Bandeirantes Beach Tours and Activities
Located in the far west of Rio, Recreio dos Bandeirantes is a beach seldom visited by tourists. The waterfront area houses a quiet, upper-middle class neighborhood that bears the same name and is most commonly referred to as just ‘Recreio.’ Although the 12+-mile (20-km) stretch of sand from Barra da Tijuca to Reserva Beach to Recreio Beach is uninterrupted, the part that is officially considered Recreio Beach begins just southwest of Reserva and northeast of Pontal Rock (Pedra do Pontal), a recognizable granite rock that rises high out of the ocean at the shoreline.
Less busy and crowded than the South Zone beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana, Recreio embodies Rio’s laidback, active, surfer lifestyle. Locals love the area for the wealth of outdoor and water activities, from waterfront running paths and beach volleyball to paddle-boarding and surfing. Recreio Beach is one of few places on Rio’s massive beachfront where the waves are consistently small and gentle, perfect for beginner surfers.
To get a great view of the long stretch of sand from Barra da Tijuca to Recreio das Bandeirantes, it is possible to climb Pontal Rock. At low tide, visitors can walk right up to the rock and reach the top in about 10 minutes. There’s a short but steep portion where a cord is installed to help hikers ascend.
Tours and Activities to Experience Recreio dos Bandeirantes Beach
Frequently Asked Questions
- Jeep tour 18 beaches, Telegraph Stone hiking & amazing sunset + photographer
- Full-Day Custom Private Tour of Rio
- Full Day Rio City Tour - Sugarloaf, Corcovado, Parque Lage and Selarón Steps
- Private Helicopter Flight in Rio with optional Transportation
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in North Chile
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast