Rio de Janeiro Cruise Port (Terminal Internacional de Cruzeiros)
After disembarking, make a beeline for one of Rio’s magnificent beaches, especially if you have limited time in the city—Copacabana and Ipanema are both favorites. City tours are great ways to get to know this bustling and overwhelming capital, and many of them include visits to Rio’s famous Corcovado to see Christ the Redeemer, or cable car rides to Sugarloaf Mountain. If exploring independently, make a note to visit the 16th-century Mosteiro de Sao Bento and the Santa Teresa neighborhood.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The docks and nearby waterfront are a destination in their own right—spend some time enjoying the “Porto Maravilha” after arrival or pre-departure.
- Rio’s metro system is generally safe and easy to navigate, but buses are best avoided due to crime and language barrier difficulties. Take taxis or ride shares after dark.
- The port is connected to various parts of Rio by the VLT tram system—pick up a Rio card from the machines at the station.
- Make sure to sample a classic caipirinha cocktail and churrascaria dinner before returning to ship.
- Daredevils can take in Rio from above during hang gliding, paragliding, or helicopter experiences.
How to Get to Rio de Janeiro From the Rio de Janeiro Cruise Port
Cruise liners dock at Pier Mauá, which is within walking distance of Rio’s downtown and just a 20-minute drive from Copacabana. A tram system operates from the port to various parts of the city, and taxis are also readily available. Shore excursions typically include round-trip transportation, while jewelry stores may also offer complimentary rides to and from their stores, usually located in Ipanema.
The official language in Brazil is Portuguese, but Spanish may also be spoken. English should be understood in hotels and shops. The local currency is the Brazilian real, but US dollars are widely accepted although change will be given in reales. You should be able to find ATMs and currency exchange offices throughout the city.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Christ the Redeemer Statue (Cristo Redentor)
- Sugarloaf Mountain (Pao de Açúcar)
- Copacabana Beach (Praia de Copacabana)
- Tijuca National Park (Parque Nacional da Tijuca)
- Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden (Jardim Botanico)
- Ipanema Beach (Praia de Ipanema)
- Rio de Janeiro Cruise Port (Terminal Internacional de Cruzeiros)