It’s said that all roads lead to Rome, so why not explore those roads on two wheels by touring Rome on a bike? Whether you rent and ride independently or join a guided tour, here are some of our favorite ways to see Rome from the seat of a bike.
- Experience Rome's most popular sights, as well as out-of-the-way trails.
- Most tours last between 3.5 and 7 hours, depending on the number of stops.
- Small-group bike tours usually accommodate 8 to 12 people.
- Some tours offer the option to choose a standard or electric bike.
- Pizza, pasta, gelato, or snacks are included with many tours.
Guided Bike Tours
Whether it's pedaling past the Colosseum or cruising Piazza Navona, a guided bicycle tour in Rome is a heart-healthy way to experience many of the city's most popular sights. Your expert guide will share stories of Rome as you pedal past ruins and plazas, and many places offer electric bikes equipped with a motor that automatically adds some speed as you pedal. To escape the crowds of central Rome and ride out into the country, join a tour on the Appian Way, where you will get to ride on a road that was built over 2,300 years ago.
Independent Bike Rentals
If you'd like to craft your own itinerary and see Rome at your leisure, opt for an independent bike rental where you choose the amount of time you want to explore the town on two wheels. Independent rentals include a map, helmet, and all the necessary safety gear, and you can choose the sights you want to see by moving at your own pace across town.