The coastal highway from San Francisco to the Monterey Peninsula is one of the most beautiful drives in California. Whether you plan to explore the peninsula’s quaint towns or learn about its rich history, here’s how to make the most of a day trip.
- Relax and enjoy the scenery of the Pacific Ocean’s iconic, rugged coastline during the drive down Highway 1.
- See unparalleled exhibits of marine life from all over the world at the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Step into a John Steinbeck novel by exploring Monterey’s Cannery Row and Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Stop off at Pebble Beach Village to visit the Pebble Beach Golf Course and see the stunning, coastside 18th green.
- Get a glimpse of early California history at the old Spanish mission of Carmel.
- Visit Carmel-by-the-Sea and the unbelievably scenic 17-Mile Drive, including the photo-worthy Lone Cypress.
Things to Know
- The gorgeous drive from San Francisco to Monterey down the Pacific coast takes about four hours.
- The return trip to San Francisco via the inland route (past the Silicon Valley tech campuses) takes about 2.5 hours.
- A private day tour allows you to customize your own itinerary and receive the undivided attention of your guide.