Thanks to a lively nighttime scene, visitors to San Francisco will find that there’s no shortage of things to do after dark. From top-notch mixology to a twilight cruise in the bay, here are a few ideas for things to do after the sun sets in the city.
- Sail serenely across the San Francisco Bay with a glass of wine and appetizers as you enjoy views of the city skyline, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, and Sausalito on a sunset or a twilight cruise.
- Hitch a ride on a colorful 1970s–era Volkswagen bus for a nighttime “hippie tour” exploring the San Francisco neighborhoods that were once home to famous musicians including Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and the Grateful Dead.
- Visit the California Academy of Sciences or the Exploratorium, cocktail in hand, during weekly adults-only evening events that are popular among locals.
- Discover a legendary nightlife scene that harks back to the Beat Generation during a North Beach pub crawl where you’ll visit an array of bars and dance clubs, then hit the dance floor to finish.
- Sip cocktails and chat mixology with some of San Francisco’s most experienced bartenders on an excursion to Union Square's hottest happy hour bars.
- Catch an intimate theater performance at the San Francisco Playhouse, a nonprofit theater company located in the city’s entertainment district.