Pukara de Quitor
The Pukara de Quitor National Monument overlooks the fertile Río San Pedro valley from atop a strategic bluff. Its serpentine rows of thick, stone walls have defended the verdant oasis's bounty since around 1100 AD. Today, the fortress's impressive architecture and historic significance bring in another sort of wealth, visitors eager to see what are among Chile's most important ruins.
Little is known about theAyllu de Quitor people who originally constructed the fortress, which was used to defend the agricultural town from the Incas and later, Spaniards. Their handiwork is impressive, however, and makes a fine place to contemplate life in the fierce Atacama Altiplano.
Pukara de Quitor Tours
What are Pukara de Quitor hours of operation?
Should I book Pukara de Quitor tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Pukara de Quitor 2021?
What's the best way to experience Pukara de Quitor?
- Archaeological Tour in Atacama
- Archeological Tour
- 4 Days Maravillas Atacama: Moon Valley, Archaeologic, Altiplanic & Tatio Geysers
- San Pedro de Atacama: Half day archaelogical Tour to Quitor and Tulor
Things to do near San Pedro de Atacama
- Things to do in North Chile
- Things to do in Uyuni
- Things to do in Salta
- Things to do in La Paz
- Things to do in Arequipa
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Lake District
- Things to do in North Coast