Outdoor Adventures in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta
By Viator, March 2018
- Trek through the Colombian jungle in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains on a multi-day hiking adventure.
- Discover archaeological wonders such as the “Lost City” of Ciudad Perdida, once inhabited by the Tayrona people.
- Explore the Caribbean coastline’s white-sand beaches and lush rain forest in Tayrona National Park.
- Look out for giant anteaters, white-bellied spider monkeys, and birds such as rusty-headed spinetails and Andean condors.
- Camp out in the jungle or sleep in a hammock beneath the stars.
- The Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta mountain range is located along the northeastern coast of Colombia, less than an hour’s drive from Barranquilla.
- The mountains reach heights of up to 18,942 feet (over 5,700 meters) above sea level, so hikers should be in good fitness and allow time to acclimatize to the high altitude.
- Popular trekking tours such as the Lost City typically leave from Santa Marta and include around four to six days of hiking.
- Hiking may not be possible during the Sierra Nevada’s two rainy seasons, May to June and September to November.
- Most trekking tours include accommodation, meals, and round-trip transportation.
Tours & Tickets
Visit Tayrona National Natural Park and swim in a reef-formed pool in the Caribbean on this day trip from Santa Marta. Parque Nacional Natural Tayrona, as it’s ... Read more
Location: Santa Marta, Colombia
Duration: 8 hours (approx.)