Zoo Safari at São Paulo Zoo
The most recent addition to the gigantic São Paulo Zoo—Brazil’s largest—offers animal lovers a safari-inspired experience right in the heart of the city. More than 380 animals roam through the different habitat zones, with animals ranging from tigers to monkeys.
Visitors can join one of the safari tours or enjoy a self-drive tour of the park, exploring the 18 zones. Many of the animals, such as monkeys, giraffes, and camels, are free-roaming and can approach the cars, while others, such as rhinos, alligators, and lions, are protected from approaching the vehicles.
Things to Know Before You Go
Safari tours leave every hour and take around an hour; self-drive visitors can spend as long as they like driving around.
The safari requires separate admission from the zoo.
The Zoo Safari is wheelchair-accessible, and entrance is free for disability-badge holders.
Entry lines can be long in peak season, so get there early.
How to Get There
The Zoo Safari is located in the Parque do Estado in south São Paulo, around 9 miles (15 kilometers) south of downtown. To get there by public transport, ride the metro to Jabaquara station, from which shuttle buses run to the park.
When to Get There
The zoo is open daily from midmorning to late afternoon. The most active times for the animals, particularly during the hot summer months, are in the morning and late afternoon, so consider timing your visit for these periods.
São Paulo Zoo
The Zoo Safari is located next door to São Paulo Zoo, and although separate tickets are required, a popular choice is to visit both attractions on one day. The zoo is the largest in Brazil, with more than 3,000 animals including monkeys, giraffes, elephants, hippos, tigers, and lions, as well as native species such as golden lion tamarins and Lear’s macaw.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Sao Paulo Zoo (Zoológico de Sao Paulo)
- Sao Paulo Aquarium
- Children's City (Cidade da Criança)
- Ibirapuera Park
- Hotel Unique
- Luis Carlos Berrini Avenue (Avenida Berrini)
- Itaim Bibi
- Paulista Avenue (Avenida Paulista)
- Museum of Image and Sound (MIS)
- Sao Paulo Museum of Art (MASP)
- Liberdade (Bairro da Liberdade)
- Jardins District
- Immigration Museum of the State of São Paulo (Museu da Imigração)
- Sé Cathedral (Catedral da Sé)
- Pateo do Collegio Church