Shanghai experiences its coldest weather from December through February, but there’s still plenty to do and see in the city—and many ways to escape the cold. Plus, the holidays, including Christmas and Chinese New Year, bring many festive activities. Here are some ideas on what to do in Shanghai this winter.
- Choose from among 200 museums in Shanghai.
- Enjoy panoramic city views from one of the city’s many skyscrapers, such as Shanghai Tower or Oriental Pearl Tower.
- Get in a festive mood by checking out the Christmas markets at Christmas Village (Century Park) or Shanghai Christmas Market (Xin Tian Di).
- Participate in the Chinese New Year festivities, such as the Lantern Festival at Yuyuan Garden or the bells chiming at Jade Buddha Temple.
- Stay warm by shopping and dining indoors at trendy Xin Tian Di.
- See giant pandas playing in the snow at the Shanghai Zoo.
- Watch a cultural performance, such as Chinese Opera or an acrobatics show.
- Visit People’s Square, Wujiaochang Champion Rink, or Shanghai New World Ice Paradise to ice-skate indoors.