On the southeastern coast of Sicily, the pretty limestone town of Noto—part of a sprawling UNESCO World Heritage Site—is a masterwork of the Sicilian baroque style. Architecture buffs love to stroll the Corso Vittorio Emanuele III and marvel at the grand St. Nicholas Cathedral and other baroque structures.
Destroyed by an earthquake in the late 17th century, Noto was rebuilt in a slightly different location, using the baroque style popular in Sicily at the time. Some guided day trips and multi-day tours of the region stop by Noto, taking the hassle out of coordinating transportation to numerous Sicilian sights.
Things to Know Before You Go
As many of the streets are old, uneven, and cobblestoned, Noto isn’t ideal for wheelchairs and strollers.
Travelers should have a moderate level of physical fitness, as exploring Noto requires quite a bit of walking.
Take sunscreen, a swimsuit, and binoculars if you like to watch birds—there are some beautiful beaches nearby.
How to Get There
Noto is just under 90 miles (145 kilometers) south of Taormina. Driving or visiting with a tour guide is the quickest and easiest way to get there. Public transit reaches Noto, but the route is long: take the train (with a stop in Syracuse), or a combination of train and bus.
When to Get There
Weather-wise, the best time to visit Noto is in spring or fall, since the summer heat can be stifling. High season is June to September and around the Christmas and Easter holidays. The city hosts special events throughout the year (e.g. the Baroque Spring Festival, the Arab Horse Race, and various food-themed festivals).
Vendicari Nature Reserve
In Noto, stop at a bakery and grab sandwiches for a picnic at the nearby Vendicari Nature Reserve. Along the rocky coastline, the park is a network of lagoons, dunes, and beaches rife with wild herbs and migrating birds passing through on their way to Africa. Look out for flamingos, herons, cormorants, and storks in fall, and ducks, mallards, and terns in winter.
- Things to do in Catania
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Agrigento
- Things to do in Syracuse
- Things to do in Messina
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Puglia
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Mellieha
- Things to do in Valletta
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast
- Things to do in Dalmatia
- Nicolaci di Villadorata Palace (Palazzo Nicolaci di Villadorata)
- Church of Santa Chiara (Chiesa di Santa Chiara)
- Basilica of San Salvatore (Basilica del SS. Salvatore)
- Church of San Domenico (Chiesa di San Domenico)
- Tellaro Roman Villa (Villa Romana del Tellaro)
- Tecnoparco Archimede Museum (Tecnoparco Museo di Archimede)
- Syracuse Cathedral (Duomo di Siracusa)
- Neapolis Archaeological Park (Parco Archeologico della Neapolis)
- Ear of Dionysius (Orecchio di Dionisio)
- Ortygia (Ortigia)
- Syracuse Greek Theater (Teatro Greco)
- Church of San Giuseppe (Chiesa di San Giuseppe)
- Donnafugata Castle (Castello di Donnafugata)