Abdul Gafoor Mosque (Masjid Abdul Gafoor)
The impressive structure underwent a major renovation in 2003, giving it an almost cartoonish appearance. The facade exhibits an interesting mix of Moorish, Roman, and Saracenic architectural elements, a fact that fits in the context of a country filled with so many ethnic enclaves. Inside the mosque, you’ll find a 25-ray sundial with the names of the 25 chosen prophets of Islam written in beautiful Arabic script. Of to the side of the main prayer hall, you’ll notice a large family tree that chronicles the genealogy of these prophets. Walking tours of the neighborhood almost always include a visit to this famous landmark.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Non-Muslim visitors are welcome, and modesty cloaks are available to borrow for free; the main prayer hall is off-limits to non-Muslims.
- Photography inside the mosque is not permitted during prayer times.
- Remember to remain silent when inside the mosque so as not to disturb worshippers.
- There is no fee to enter the mosque.
How to Get There
The mosque is centrally located and easy to get to on foot from much of the surrounding neighborhood. To get there by public transportation, take the MRT to Jln Besar Station and leave through Exit A.
When to Get There
The mosque is open daily throughout the year, with shorter hours on Fridays (afternoons only). Try to visit between prayer times so as not to disturb those worshipping within.
Things to See in Little India Little India ranks among Singapore’s most colorful neighborhoods, with plenty to see and do. Before or after your visit to Abdul Gafoor Mosque, swing by the Mustafa Centre to do some shopping or sample South Indian vegetarian fare at the Tekka hawker centre. The neighborhood is also home to a couple of colorful South Indian temples, including the Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple and Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple.
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Pulau Ubin
- Things to do in Malaysia
- Things to do in Indonesia
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast