Also known as the Tsentralni Hali, Sofia’s Central Market Hall was originally built in 1909 and by the 1940s, featured 170 shops and stalls. Designed in a neo-Renaissance style with neo-Byzantine and neo-Baroque elements, it is considered the best work of architect Naum Torbov and its façade is known for its relief of the Sofia coat of arms. It closed in 1988 to undergo a lengthy renovation, eventually reopening in 2000, and is now one of the busiest places in Sofia. With three floors of shopping and cafes, the Central Market Hall is certainly the best place for indoor food shopping in Sofia.
On the ground floor, you will find stalls selling fruits, vegetables, pastries, wine and cheese, while on the second floor, there is an inexpensive food court and more shops, including clothing stores and jewelry shops. The Hall is a great place to stock up on Bulgarian wine and spirits and can also fulfill traveler’s practical needs; there is a post office, pharmacy, bank and multiple ATMs.
The Central Market Hall is open daily from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Located at Maria Louisa Boulevard 25, it can be reached from the Serdika Metro Station or by streetcar 1, 7, 20 or 22. It is also within easy walking distance from many central Sofia hotels.