With its iconic skyline, world-famous landmarks, and picturesque waterfront, Sydney is photogenic from all angles. Whether you want to see it from the skies, the tallest building, or from the water, here's where to find the best views in Sydney.
Perisher & Thredbo Ski Resorts
Perisher is the larger of the two resorts, with 47 lifts and 119 runs. While the smaller Thredbo has just 14 lifts and 53 runs, it also has more vertical drop and longer trails. Tours of Perisher and Thredbo generally depart from either Sydney or Canberra. Because they often bundle transport, lift tickets, and accommodations, tours can be a budget-friendly alternative to organizing a trip yourself.
Things to Know Before You Go
- If you’re looking for the classic, ski-village feel, consider Thredbo, known for a European atmosphere.
- Both mountains are great for families. Thredbo and Perisher each offer child care, kid-friendly programming, and family discounts.
- Two-wheel drive cars must carry snow chains in Kosciusko National Park from June through October.
How to Get There
The closest airport to Kosciusko National Park is Snowy Mountains Airport in Cooma, just an hour from the ski slopes. Canberra is the next best option, and is roughly two hours by car from Jindabyne. From Sydney, the resorts are a 5-five hour drive; coach service is available from both Sydney and Canberra.
When to Get There
Both Perisher and Thredbo are generally open from early June through early October. Consistently cold weather in July and August make these the best months for good snow conditions. With warmer temperatures and less snow, June and October are considered to be the shoulder season. It’s often possible to find discounted lodging at these times.
Terrain Parks at Perisher and Thredbo Both resorts have multiple terrain parks, which offer a place to play even when powder is scarce. At Thredbo, the five terrain parks are ranked by difficulty, starting with the beginner-friendly Playground Terrain Park. Perisher has an even wider variety, plus a pair of half-pipes and two rider-cross courses.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Brisbane
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia