With its iconic façade and location at the heart of Sydney Harbour, there’s no missing the Sydney Opera House. It's a highlight of city tours and cruises, but to fully experience the venue, book a night at the opera. Here's what you need to know.
- Experience the birthplace of Australian Opera with a performance by Opera Australia or the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.
- Enjoy performances of classic operas by Mozart, Rossini, Bizet, and more.
- Make a night of it with a pre-show dinner at a nearby restaurant or a guided backstage tour of the opera house.
- For an extra special experience, attend the New Year's Opera Gala—one of the most sought-after tickets of the year.
Things to Know
- The main opera season runs from April to December, but performances take place all year round.
- Sydney Opera House is located on Bennelong Point overlooking Sydney Harbour.
- It's about a 5- to 10-minute walk to the Sydney Opera House from Circular Quay (a shuttle bus is also available).
- Matinee and evening performances are held most days, and there are four seating options to choose from.
- Bags larger than a handbag must be checked into the cloakroom.
- All theaters at the Sydney Opera House are wheelchair accessible.