Built in the 18th century as a residence for the Nicolaci family, the Palazzo Nicolaci di Villadorata in the city of Noto is one of the best examples of Sicilian Baroque architecture and features some of the most beautiful balconies in the city. The exterior features a plethora of sphinxes, winged horses, hippograffs and other mythical beasts, as well as two large columns topped by a large wrought-iron balcony and three smaller balconies on either side.
Inside, the palace is comprised of 90 rooms, although only a handful in the main wing are open to the public. Another wing is home to the municipal library of Noto, which was founded in 1817. The palace is also home to an annual flower festival.
The Nicolaci Palace is located in the town of Noto in the province of Siracusa (Syracuse). The town can be reached by bus in about 40 minutes from the city of Siracusa by one of two bus companies: AST, which leaves from Siracusa’s Riva della Posta, and Interbus, which leaves from Via Trieste. The main bus stop in Noto is near the Giardino Pubblico at the top of Viale Principe di Piemonte, about a 15-minute walk from the palace.