A small, white-sand beach at the Split is among the best places to lounge by the water in Caye Caulker, but that’s just the beginning of the scene here. Day-trippers from Belize City stroll over from the nearby boat dock, and travelers congregate for drinks in lounge chairs and thatch-covered huts. Since this is a highlight for many visitors to Caye Caulker, the Split is an included stop on some tours of the islands.
Things to Know Before You Go
- This is a great place to meet other travelers. A volleyball court, cornhole, and other activities make it easy to connect.
- Kayaks and paddle-boards are available to rent close to the Split.
- Bring plenty of reef-safe sunscreen. Varieties free of ingredients including oxybenzone and octinoxate won’t harm the coral.
How to Get There
The Split is located at the north end of Caye Caulker’s main tourist area. If you’re arriving in Caye Caulker by ferry from Belize City or San Pedro, you’ll disembark at a pier that’s .5 miles (.85 kilometers) from the Split. To reach it, simply follow Playa Asuncion north until it ends. Taxis are also available, with plenty of drivers to meet arriving boats.
When to Get There
While there’s almost always a crowd hanging out at the Split, sunset is the main event. Happy-hour specials at Lazy Lizard include budget-friendly cocktails, but you don’t need to buy anything to enjoy the early-evening light. Bring a beach towel to stretch out on the sand, or swim to the floating platform that’s just offshore.
Best Places to Swim in Caye Caulker While Caye Caulker lacks the big, sandy beaches that grace Caribbean postcards, there are plenty of places to slip in the water here. After checking out the scene at the Split, try the quiet stretch of beach south of the arrival dock on the east side of the island. On the opposite (west) side of Caye Caulker, visit a small beach by Sea Dreams Hotel for clear water and good swimming.
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast