With clear, crisp days ideal for viewing Mt. Fuji and soaking in hot springs, Tokyo in winter is chilly but charming. Travelers visiting the Japanese capital between December and February will enjoy fewer crowds and plenty of opportunities to check out culture, history, and beautiful snowy landscapes. Here are a few ways to do so.
- Discover Tokyo’s must-see landmarks and enjoy a cruise on Tokyo Bay on a full-day city bus and boat tour.
- Visit a training center in Tokyo to watch the morning sumo practice.
- See some of Tokyo most important temples, gardens, and shopping areas on a morning bus tour of the city’s top sights.
- Enjoy photo opportunities with a variety of sleepy-eyed night birds during a unique owl cafe experience.
- Day trip to Mt. Fuji and the surrounding area, including a visit to a hot spring resort.
- Feel the magic of Studio Ghibli on a tour of the Ghibli Museum and Edo-Tokyo Open-Air Architectural Museum.
- Play in the snow, savor a fresh seafood lunch, and visit a strawberry farm on a day trip to Tambara Snow Land.
- Hit the slopes on a day tour of Lake Kawaguchi and Fujiten Snow Resort.
- See snow monkeys and temples on a small-group day trip to Nagano by bullet train.