Antarctica Tours from Ushuaia
By Viator, May 2018
- It’s possible to reach Antarctica by plane from select destinations, but the most popular way to visit is on an Antarctic cruise from Ushuaia. Crossing the Drake Passage to the Antarctic Peninsula takes a day or two, and tours typically last 10–20 days.
- Most tours only run during the summer season, from November to March, but high season is December–January.
- Pack for cold and changeable weather conditions; expect temperatures of 23˚–41˚F (-5˚–5˚ C) and around 20 hours of daylight during peak season.
- Most Antarctic cruises are all-inclusive, and cruise ships often offer a choice of on-board accommodation, dining options, and activities.
- Most cruise ships have ornithologists and geologists on board to describe the region’s unique landscapes and point out the many species of seabirds.
- Some cruises from Ushuaia to Antarctica also include a visit to the Falkland Islands, South Georgia Island, the South Shetland Islands, or the Polar Circle.