When Abby Aldrich Rockefeller, wife of John D. Rockefeller, loaned part of her folk art collection to the Ludwell-Paradise House in Williamsburg in 1935, she had no idea that her items would eventually serve as the core of a museum named after her. The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum originally opened with 424 objects, all donated or collected by Ms. Rockefeller, but today, the museum features more than 3,000 pieces and is one of the largest collections of American folk art.
Founded in 1957, every inch of the site comes alive with bold colors and intricate craftsmanship, all telling the stories of American folk life. The museum features collections of wooden toys, carvings and needlework, in addition to the art. Many children enjoy the “Down on the Farm” animal-focused exhibit.
The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum is located in Colonial Williamsburg at 326 West Francis St. The museum shop sells souvenirs and gifts, while the site's cafe feeds hungry patrons. Tickets are required for admission and are available for a single day or multi-day use. The museum is open daily.