Matthew Watson General Store
Set in the historic town of Carcross, Matthew Watson General Store provides a museum-like collection of historic goods, First Nation arts and crafts, and much more. But, the store offers more than just things to look at. Travelers can pick up items such as moccasins and furs as well as food, books, and apparel. Practical items such as warm coats and bug repellent can come in handy for underprepared visitors. xa0xa0 The general store is a popular stop on tours that visit Carcross from Skagway, Alaska. Cruise ship passengers who have a spare day in Skagway can visit via the White Pass Train or a bus tour—that way you can enjoy the majestic scenery along the way rather than driving yourself and focusing on the road.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Matthew Watson General Store is a must-stop for history buffs and souvenir enthusiasts.
- The store is wheelchair accessible but crowds can make it difficult to navigate.
- Be sure to bring a passport for the border crossing if visiting from Skagway, Alaska—for fun, get your passport stamped at the store.
- The general store’s ice cream shop is known as the best in Carcross—and the small town has a surprising number of ice cream shops competing for this title.
How to Get There
Matthew Watson General Store is located in the Carcross Heritage Complex in the heart of Carcross. Take the Klondike Highway 46 miles (74 kilometers) south from Whitehorse, Yukon, or 68 miles (110 kilometers) north from Skagway, Alaska. Skip the hassle of renting a car or driving yourself by visiting on a guided tour.
When to Get There
The store is open seasonally from May through September. The shop gets crowded when tour buses arrive in Carcross so get there early to beat the crowds.
Top Things to Do in Carcross A quaint town set on the shores of Bennett Lake, Carcross is a hub of history, culture, and outdoor adventure. Start your visit with a stop at Carcross Commons, where you can find visitor information, shopping, totem poles, and restaurants. Immerse yourself in gold rush history and First Nation culture at the town’s museums and shops. Enjoy an afternoon relaxing at the lake, hiking, or mountain biking.
- Things to do in Whitehorse
- Things to do in Alaska
- Things to do in Northwest Territories
- Things to do in British Columbia
- Things to do in Juneau
- Things to do in Hoonah
- Things to do in Sitka
- Things to do in Ketchikan
- Things to do in Whittier
- Things to do in Alberta
- Things to do in Washington
- Things to do in Oregon
- Things to do in Wyoming
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Utah